Cheese Tea is the Next Milk Tea Trend You Need to Try
Before you start thinking that cheese tea is some strange, exotic concoction that involves sticking a block of cheddar or a bit of brie in some hot water, let us stop you right there.
It is something else entirely!
No. Cheese tea is not like if grilled cheese came in a drinkable beverage form. Instead, cheese tea is a relatively new drink trend originating in Asia that has quickly gained popularity and now tickles the taste buds of drinkers around the world.
If at this point you have more questions than answers, don’t worry!
Today, we’re breaking down all there is to know about the tasty cheese tea beverage and its story as well as how we at Baroness Bubble Tea have taken it and put our own unique twist on the recipe to create two of our signature drinks for our own story.
Let’s get started!
What is Cheese Tea?
Like many favorite bubble tea flavors, cheese tea was invented in Taiwan back in 2010, where vendors sold it from food carts and stalls.
However, cheese tea didn’t remain exclusive there for long, and it quickly became an incredibly popular worldwide drink trend that’s now available at many bubble tea shops across the globe.
The beverage base starts with sweetened black tea or green tea, which can either be served up hot or cold, with or without milk and in a wide range of flavours.
For example, at Baroness Bubble Tea, we enjoy switching it up and incorporating delicious oat milk into our drinks for an extra creamy and captivating texture and taste.
It is then topped with a lovely layer of fluffy cream cheese foam.
That’s right. It’s not a straight-up block of cheese in cheese tea. It’s cream cheese! It doesn’t seem as weird now, right?
In fact, you can use the smooth texture of cream cheese in a wide array of recipes, including cream cheese icing, jalapeno poppers, mashed potatoes and cream cheese lemon bars.
Are you a big fan of cheesecake? Where do you think the cheese part comes from? More often than not, it’s cream cheese!
What many love about cheese tea is that it presents the ideal balance of sweet and savoury flavours. You get the sweetness of the sweetened black tea or green tea with the sweet and salty combo of the cream cheese topping.
The cheese foam is often made with cream whipping cream, milk and cream cheese before topping it all off with just a pinch of rock or sea salt.
How to Make Cheese Foam Tea
If you’re interested in seeing what all the hype surrounding cheese tea is about and want to try a hand at making it yourself, you’re in luck!
Luckily, cheese tea and its signature fluffy cheese topping are relatively easy and straightforward to make at home. Want to learn how to make bubble tea at home? Check out the recipe below!
Our recipe example will generate 6 servings of cheese tea.
- 6 servings of green tea or black tea
- 200 ml whipping cream
- 200g cream cheese (room temperature, any brand will do)
- 100 ml fresh milk (full cream or whole milk)
- 1 tsp salt (rock or sea salt is best)
- 100g sugar
- Prepare 6 glasses of your favourite black tea or green tea sweetened to your/your guest’s specified liking. If you’d liked to serve your cheese tea cold, let the tea cool to room temperature before refrigerating for at least 30 minutes.
- With a clean mixing bowl, mash the cream cheese into smaller pieces.
- Add sugar and salt to the cream cheese and whisk/beat until the sugar dissolves.
- Slowly add the milk into the batter and continue to whisk or mix.
- Whisk/beat until the cheese batty has a fluffy, foamy consistency and set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, whisk the whipping cream until medium peak consistency.
- Add the medium peak whipping cream into the cheese batter and whisk together.
- Whisk the mixture until foamy and then serve immediately or refrigerate. The cheese foam will keep for roughly 3-5 days in the fridge.
- If serving immediately, spoon the cheese topping directly over your iced tea.
- Sprinkle with a dash of salt, and enjoy!
There you have it! You’ve successfully made cheese tea for you and your friends to enjoy.
Cheese Tea - Say Cheese!
While it may not sound like the most conventional beverage option available, cheese tea is definitely worth a try!
With a delightfully familiar base of black or green tea and the sweet and savoury combination of the cream cheese foam, cheese tea is sure to delight the senses and provide a captivating contrast that will tease your tastebuds with every sip.
We’re passionate about taking the unique stories of beverages such as cheese tea and incorporating them into our own story by putting our own distinct twist on them. When it comes to cheese tea, we did so by creating our delicious and Tripleberry Cheese Foam and Mango Cheese Foam smoothies!
The sweetness of the fruit couples so brilliantly with the sweet and savoury nature of the cream cheese foam that we think it won’t take you long to come back for another once you’ve had a taste.
If this unique combination piques your interest, we’d love for you to come by and test it out. We encourage you to visit us at Baroness Bubble Tea at 2790 W Broadway, Vancouver, and try one – or both! – for yourself!
Let us know what you think of our blog, and receive 10% off your order!
*Blog related discount cannot be combined with any other sale, promotion, discount, code, coupon and/or offers.